Under administrative direction, plans, organizes, manages, and provides direction and oversight for all functions and activities of the Portfolio Management Department (including asset management, property management (both in house and third party management), commercial leases, resident services contracts, office facilities, capital improvements, and maintenance. Coordinates assigned activities with other Housing Authority departments, officials, outside agencies, and the public; fosters cooperative working relationships among Housing Authority departments, with intergovernmental and regulatory agencies, and various public and private groups; provides highly responsible and complex administrative assistance to the Executive Director in coordination and administration of departmental activities and operations; and performs related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
(Illustrative Only)Management reserves the rights to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Assumes full management responsibility for all Asset Management, Property Management, Capital Improvement, Resident Services and Maintenance programs, services, and activities, including providing analysis and recommendations on local and state policies and appropriations that may impact Housing Authority property operations.
- Develops, directs, and coordinates the implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, and work standards for the department; establishes, within Housing Authority policy, appropriate budget, service, and staffing levels.
- Creates and manages the department’s annual budget and the individual budgets of the properties; directs the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; directs the monitoring of and approves expenditures; directs and implements adjustments as necessary.
- Creates policies and procedures to asset manage the agency’s portfolio. Works with the Housing Development Department to ensure the lease up and stabilization of new developments, tracks all documents and ensures the responsibilities of the owner are fulfilled. Ensures compliance with contracts and agreements with third parties including party property management companies, resident services providers, joint venture, and land lease partners.
- Submits required reports to funders, lenders, and other parties regarding the properties
- Evaluates and recommends appropriate insurance coverage for the agency, its affiliates, and properties; works with staff to process property related insurance claims.
- Selects, trains, motivates, and directs department personnel; evaluates and reviews work for acceptability and conformance with department standards, including program and project priorities; works with employees on performance issues; implements discipline and termination procedures; responds to staff questions and concerns.
- Contributes to the overall quality of the department’s service by developing, reviewing, and implementing policies and procedures to meet legal requirements and Housing Authority needs; continuously monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; assesses and monitors the distribution of work, support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identifies opportunities for improvement; directs the implementation of change.
- Provides support and documents and/or records needed for the completion of applications for grants and funds that may be available to improve properties or services.
- Cooperates with development staff to pursue new or alternate financing and other resources for project funding such as tax credits, multi-family bonds, grants, outside loans, property trades, etc.; ensures a viable financing and management plan is approved for each project; facilitates relocation of tenants and appointment and management of third party property management if properties are being managed externally.
- Manages and supervises the work of assigned staff; reviews cost estimates, completion schedules and project implementation budgets; ensures that the department adheres to the agency’s procurement policy at all times; reviews and finalizes draft contracts, lease agreements, regulatory agreements, loan documents and other financing arrangements.
- Manages and monitors portfolio performance including vacancy and turnover, rent collections debt service and NOI; develops and monitors property and project expense budgets and approves property and project expenditures and proposes rent increases; prepares monthly board reports for the Board of Commissioners. Ensures real estate related collection of rent, and other fees due from third parties.
- Responds to and manages difficult and sensitive public enquiries, tenant/resident complaints, and other requests for information; coordinates and assists with resolution and alternative recommendations. Responsible for resident satisfaction issues, fair housing, and 504 and nondiscrimination compliance in the activities of the department.
- Manages the MOUs, leases, relationships and financial arrangements with co- developers, homeowner associations and lessors of HA-owned land and facilities. Collaborates with the development department on asset management documentation and activities.
- Manages and monitors usage of the Yardi property management software and all other computer and paper-based systems for the department to ensure that accurate information is maintained. Coordinates with the Senior Management Analyst to identify and implement system upgrades and arrange for training, as necessary.
- Oversees the development of consultant requests for proposals for professional services and the advertising and bid processes for the department for all property operations, resident services and facilities related activities, including systems, property-related legal services, insurance, HA office building maintenance, etc.; evaluates proposals and recommends project award; coordinates with legal counsel to ensure policy compliance; determines the Housing Authority’s needs and requirements for contractual services; negotiates contracts and agreements and administers same after award in accordance with Agency procurement policies and procedures.
- Coordinates with the Director of Human Resources and Operations and Risk Manager on agency safety issues, including revision and implementation of safety policies and procedures and planning of safety training activities.
- Represents the department to other Housing Authority departments, elected officials, and outside agencies; explains and interprets departmental programs, policies, and activities; negotiates and resolves significant and controversial issues.
- Conducts a variety of departmental organizational and operational studies and investigations; recommends modifications to programs, policies, and procedures as appropriate.
- Participates in and makes presentations to the Board of Commissioners, resident groups, and a variety of other boards and commissions; attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in related fields.
- Monitors changes in laws, regulations, and technology that may affect Housing Authority or departmental operations; implements policy and procedural changes as required.
- Prepares, reviews, and presents staff reports, various management and information updates, and reports on special projects as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Maintains and directs the maintenance of working and official departmental files.
- Performs other duties as assigned.